Health & Nutrition
For track & Field
We recommend these steps before and after the event.
- Athletes should receive 8-10 hours of sleep the night before a meet.
- Eat high Carbohydrate meals the day and night before to fuel your muscles.
3-4 Hours before the event
- High in complex carbohydrates, such as bread, fruit and vegetables
- 1/3 protein Low in fat
- Plenty of fluids (Hydration)
- Athletes should eat a nutritious breakfast before a meet, including fruits, bread, little or no meat is best.
1-2 HRS before Competition & For All Day Meets
- Fresh Fruit – bananas, raisins, grapes, oranges, peaches, watermelon
- Crackers and Pretzels
- Bagels, toast, plain yogurt, trail mix
- Athletes should so their cool-down run after race events.
- 24 oz sports drink + bagel + peanut butter
- Sports bar + sports drink
- Low-fat chocolate milk
- fruit for carbohydrate replacement.
- Dinner should include foods high in protein (chicken, beef, fish, milk, cheese, soy products. to build muscle.
Items to Bring
- 2 pairs of shorts/skirts
- 2 pairs of socks
- 2 shirts/tops
- writing material
- Sunscreen/ lotion
- Small Laundry bag
- Combination lock
- Running shoes
- Track Spikes
- Beach/bath towels
- Lightweight jacket
- Personal toiletries
- Water jug